Computers in Libraries Report: Supporting KM with Weblogs
by Michael Angeles
I was pretty excited to see Michael because I read his article (Angeles, Michael, 2003. "K-Logging: Supporting KM with Web Logs." Library Journal
128, 7: 20. Reed Business Information. Available online here
, accessed last 3/12/04) . I'm definitely all for using blogs, community blogs, and feeds as relevant to help build communities and help with enterprise information sharing and collaboration. There are serious barriers to this free and happy information sharing in scientific and technology related organizations (security, competition, intellectual property, etc.). I also networked with a colleague from a similar workplace who is also considering implementing blogs in the library and in the lab. A next step for me is to figure out who on our staff has personal blogs to see if we can get some social networking going and then maybe use these people to start a grassroots movement. The library can provide the technology and server space on the intranet to enable these connections.... wheels turning....
For others I met at this session: Here's a brief bibliography of help with RSS and blogs:
BTW- I'm not linking all these, the assumption is that you can find them from the cite or ask your librarian for help!
- Fichter, Darlene. January 2003-28 February 2003. Blogging Software for Intranet Applications. Online 27, no. 1: 61-3.
- Berkman, Robert. February 2004. In a Fog Over Blogs? Stressed by RSS? The Best of Blog and RSS Search Engines. The Information Advisor 16, no. 2: 1-8.
- Cohen, Alan, 2003-. Blogging for Business. PC Magazine 22, 23: 74. ZDNet.
- Doctorow, Cory and others. 2002. Essential Blogging, Cory Doctorow and others. Sebastopol, CA : O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
- Dragan, Richard V. and Neil J. Rubenking, 2003-. TAKE BACK THE NET . PC Magazine 22, 23: 102-5. ZDNet.
- Field, Karen Auguston, 2003-. Why Every Engineer Needs a Weblog. Design News 58, 11: 11. Reed Business Information.
- Goans, Doud and Teri M. Vogel. 11 November 2003. Building a Home for Library News with a Blog. Computers in Libraries 23, no. 10: 20-6.
- Lynch, Jim, 2003-. RSS News Readers Browse for You. PC Magazine 22, 17: 32. ZDNet.
- McFedries, Paul, 2003. Blah, Blah, Blog. IEEE Spectrum 40, 12: 60.
- Metz, Cade, 2003-. TAKE BACK THE NET. PC Magazine 22, 23: 101-2. ZDNet.
- Miller, Ron, 2003. Blogging for Business. EContent 26, 10: 30-4. Information Today Inc.
- Scott, Peter. Blogging: Creating Instant Content for the Web. November 2001. [http://library.usask.ca/~scottp/il2001/]. 11 February 2004.
- Trott, Mena and Trott, Ben. TrackBack Explanation: A Beginner's Guide to TrackBack . [http://www.movabletype.org/trackback/beginners/]. 12 February 2004.
- White, Martin, 2003. Web Logs: Moving Beyond Cool. EContent 26, 12: 10. Information Today Inc.