SLA2008: CS Roundtable
Ebooks as textbooks
- Knovel and CRC books - can be used... one librarian who's been using these has had complaints from students that they can't find anything within the ebooks - need to print the whole thing.
- tried that for a chemistry class and they did not like it - they wanted print - maybe needs to be introduced lower
- maybe ebrary - so you can highlight and make notes?
- maybe if a book to read linearly instead of jumping back and forth
- synthesis lectures as course assignments? (and Springer) allow use in coursepacks - multiple users are allowed whereas systems that only allow a few users don't work for courseworks.
Federated search for ebooks?
OSU is within Ohiolink where they load things locally. -- user limit is a big deal with federated searching.
Lecture Notes in CS - online - how to publicize?
- engineering toolbar within firefox (Ohio University - see his poster session) to get to these.
- I suspect links from google aren't going to LNCS - from my experience
- SpringerLink's horrid search
my question - mushing together books and articles
- not a problem for some - categorizes things
- separate category or quick set
- worldcat local does this and it's a mess (but maybe non-libraries are ok with that)
ACM search engine improvements
- no reps, again!
- have a library advisory board - but haven't called on them for 2 years
- communications of the acm - relaunching - mostly staff steered in the past, but trying to get more to perspectives by experts on research instead of unsolicited manuscripts. less papers on MIS.
- for the author profiles, authors really need to add information to their profiles to make it more useful
- tell them we need to get links out from the acm guide to computing literature (open linking for link resolvers)
Errors in databases
- good experience w/IEEE, Inspec, WoS, ScienceDirect
- bad experience w/acm
- need proper contact for editorial feedback
- problems with Inspec on Ovid and resolver not working right
- international journal of high performance computing - moved to Sage - Sage photoshopped the cover image!!!!!
Parker's study of where to put CS